Connect with new friends, and build a foundation for your future.
Learning is the primary focus of Conner Prairie’s youth volunteer program. We aim to give talented young people the opportunity to grow through Conner Prairie's enriching environment. If you're passionate about Conner Prairie, love speaking to people and enjoy the rewards of old-fashioned sweat and effort, this program may be for you!
Youth volunteer opportunities are open for students between the ages of 10-18 (including all current high school students) and include:
- Playing historical games and leading hands-on activities in modern-day uniform or costume
- Portraying a fictional character from the year 1816, 1836, or 1863
- Working behind the scenes
- Assisting in special events
- Helping care for our heritage animal breeds
- 115 youth in program
- Average age of youth: 13.9
- Youngest Youth: 10
- Oldest Youth: 18
- Minimum Hours donated per year: 120
- Most Hours ever donated by a youth in a single year: 1066
- About ⅓ of the youth are homeschooled
- Over ¼ of the youth participate on our Youth Spinning Team
- Shortest commute to Conner Prairie: ¼ mile (across the street)
- Longest commute to Conner Prairie: 7,106 miles (Bahrain)
- Favorite program as voted on by the youth: Headless Horseman
Now accepting applications for the 2020 season.
If you are interested in becoming one of our great Youth Volunteers, please complete the application below.
The deadline is January 6, 2020.
Conner Prairie’s Youth Volunteer Program is provided to you without any participation fee. However, like most youth activities, you the participant do have some expenses, such as travel and historic costuming. We want Conner Prairie’s Youth Program to be affordable to all. Thanks to a grant from Carmax and Bank of America, Conner Prairie is able to provide needs-based youth scholarships up to $500 for travel or costuming. If interested, complete and return a Historic Clothing and Travel Scholarship Application form by January 6.