The coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new virus that has recently emerged that causes respiratory distress and disease. Conner Prairie values the health and safety of our visitors, staff and volunteers at all times and always are our biggest consideration for our museum. We are monitoring announcements around the clock by officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which issued a warning about the likelihood of a coronavirus outbreak in the United States and the potential need for more aggressive measures to contain it. In addition to our usual stringent and through cleaning and health practices, we are following the following steps issued by the CDC to help reduce the spread of the disease on our grounds and in our community.
"Vaccines and Us":
As a Smithsonian Affiliate, We also believe it is important to share the most accurate information regarding your health. Click the link below to review resources from trusted community partners to help you make the best decision about COVID-19 vaccination.
What we are doing:
- We are closely following CDC updates and recommendations and updating our procedures accordingly as needed.
- We have added extra signage in our restrooms indicating the most effective techniques to wash hands according to the Indiana State Department of Health.
- We have added more hand sanitizing dispensers throughout our exhibit, grounds and work areas.
- Our cleaning staff proactively cleans the restrooms across the museum throughout the day. Our hand sanitizing station materials contain 70% alcohol (the CDC recommends at least 60% alcohol).
- We are encouraging staff to stay home if they are sick.
What you can do as a visitor:
Follow these recommended preventative actions from the CDC to help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw it in the trash.
- Conner Prairie has no plans to close at this time, however, we will take all precautions necessary to protect visitors, staff, and volunteers. We will continue to monitor the spread of the virus, consult with state and local health experts, and make the most informed decision possible at that time. If we are directed to close by city or state ordinance, we will follow that direction.
Conner Prairie Peace of Mind Policy
We want our visitors, staff and volunteers to feel as comfortable as possible when visiting our grounds. If you have additional questions about exchanges or refunds, please call the museum’s Customer Service Center at 317-776-6000. We hope this allows you to continue planning for spring or summer break visits without concerns that your plans may change.
For more information on the Coronavirus, please visit the CDC’s website for the latest updates.