Plan a Field Trip
At Conner Prairie, the Indiana history you read about in text books becomes a vibrant learning experience full of activities for students and teachers to see and do. You can talk with the potter, feel the heat from the blacksmith’s forge, play games with the local pioneer children and help with the farm chores.
Our programs cover a wide variety of Indiana academic standards including inter-disciplinary curriculum for every grade level. Subjects including social studies, language arts, math and science are all incorporated into your visit. Students get the perfect mix of learning, adventure and fun all in a scenic and safe environment where our dedicated staff is always on hand ready to help you.
We know in this economy your field trip dollars are limited, so we try our best to keep your costs as low as possible by substantially subsidizing every student’s visit. Please note: To be eligible for school group rates, you must have 15 or more students in your group.
Book your field trip
Please call 317.776.6000.
Explore your options
View the School Programs catalog to find programs for all grade levels.
2014-15 School Programs Catalog
View the Teacher Orientation packet for pre-visit information that will help you prepare for your adventure!
Teacher Orientation Packet
- "My class of 2nd-graders, and their parents, were completely engaged throughout the day. When we recapped our visit in class, they were able to share and apply the knowledge gained about the past from our trip."
- "There were so many opportunities for learning! The interpreters were great at getting the kids involved with hands-on activities and questions to make them think."
- "I've been coming to Conner Prairie for about 10 years with my 4th-grade class, and I am impressed that every time I visit there is something new."
- "I was impressed by the interpreters' ability to focus on the specific area the children were interested in - in our case, economics - and tailor their talk to that interest.
- "IWe had a wonderful, educational visit! Our students were so engaged that there was no time for behavioral issues.
Reservations are required for all programs. Reservations may be made online for Self-Guided Tours only; for all other programs please call 317.776.6000. Please note: if you make your Self-Guided Tour reservation online, it is not a confirmation of your field trip. You will receive an email from Conner Prairie that following week to confirm the date and time of your field trip.
Please have the following information ready when you call:
- Number of students
- School address
- School & alternate phone number
- Program of interest
- Time zone
Payment & Cancellations
To be eligible for school group rates, you must have 15 or more students in your group. Pre-payment three weeks in advance is required for some programs. To receive a refund for pre-paid programs, cancellations must be made three weeks prior to the program date. Programs operate rain or shine. All times effective August 1, 2014-July 31, 2015.
For Pre-K–grade 1, at least one adult leader must accompany each group of five students. For grades 2–12, one adult leader must accompany each group of ten students. Group leaders are responsible for students' behavior and must accompany and supervise students at all times.
- Pre-order a Prairie Sack Lunch for $5 (Preschool-Grade 5) and $8 (Grades 6-12 and chaperones). Lunches include your choice of sandwich, beverage, cookie, and chips or apple wedges. View the menu here. Pre-orders must be placed and guaranteed at least five business days prior to your visit. Payment may be made in full when guarantee is made or on tour date by credit card, check or cash.
- Enjoy lunch on your own at Cafe on the Common.
- Outdoor shelters and picnic areas if not occupied by another group are availalbe in a first-come, first-served basis. Indoor seating if not otherwise occupied can be arranged for in advance for a nominal labor fee. Ask your sales group contact.
Conner Prairie Store
Take history home with you! Discover pioneer and history books, educational items and games perfect for classroom use. Students will love the toys, games and other souvenirs. Looking for pioneer clothing? The Conner Prairie Store carries costumes for boys and girls that are perfect for heritage days. Call 317.776.6006 for more information.
Conner Prairie strives to provide an educational and fun experience for all guests. Please notify Guest Services if your group has anyone with special needs.
Conner Prairie is conveniently located just six miles north of Indianapolis. See a map.