Conner Prairie wants everyone to be able to experience the prairie. To make that possible, our modern Welcome Center is fully accessible to handicapped guests.
Wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge, and wheelchair assistants and interpreters for the deaf receive general admission at half price. Most, but not all, of the historic buildings are accessible by wheelchair. However, buildings and walkways are authentic to the 19th century, which may impose certain restrictions. Stone paths in the historic areas may be difficult for wheelchair travel. For those buildings that are not wheelchair accessible, staff will bring the experience to you. Please see our Accessibility Guest Map for specific details.
Handicapped parking is available close to the Welcome Center and The Overlook Room.
Conner Prairie is Autism-Friendly
We are proud to offer families with children with autism, as well as other sensory or developmental challenges, a local attraction with a focused and friendly environment.
Below are tips to consider in planning your adventure around Conner Prairie today. Please note: the outdoor areas are open April-November 2.
• If someone does not like loud noises, be aware that Civil War Journey and Lenape Indian Camp have occasional gunfire demonstrations. The Mayfield and Nichols Dry Goods Store in Civil War Journey also has loud noises.
• If someone likes to interact with animals, our Animals Encounters Barn is perfect.
• If someone likes to tinker, visit Create.Connect inside the Welcome Center.
• If someone likes to get their hands dirty, join interpreters in tasks in 1836 Prairietown and Lenape Indian Camp.
• If someone likes to play with toys, ask at the various houses located in 1836 Prairietown.
• If someone does not like swift visual action/transitions or flashing lights, they might want to avoid the Civil War Journey media presentations inside the Mayfield and Nichols Dry Goods Store and The Raid.
Quiet Spots Sponsored by
If you have any questions or special needs, please let us know so we can assist you in planning your visit. Please call Guest Services at 317.776.6006 or 800.966.1836.